Free Phone Consults are available to answer any questions or concerns.
Community & Private Acupuncture
Community treatments ($35) take place in a larger room in a reclining chair alongside other patients. Needling is kept to points on the arms and legs and occasionally the head or ears. White noise and calming music fills the room. I recommend having a meal/snack a few hours before your treatment and dress in comfortable clothing that can be easily rolled up to the elbow and knee (or bring clothes to change into). *Due to pandemic precautions, I can no longer provide blankets or pillows but you are welcome to bring your own!
Private treatments ($80) are held in a smaller room allowing for more one-on-one time. Private acupuncture is most often utilized for more severe or long standing health issues or when access to the back, hips or shoulders is necessary. A variety of additional modalities can be used which are not available in the community setting, including cupping, and heat therapy.
For your first session, fill out your health history and consent to treat in advance, if possible. During the treatment, we will discuss your complaints, health history, and treatment goals. This is a great time to bring all your questions and concerns. After that, the needles are inserted at specific points and are retained for 30+ minutes. During this time of rest and relaxation; you may not get up or walk around with needles inserted. At the end of the treatment, we will set up a treatment plan to get you feeling better as quickly as possible, potentially including referrals or recommendations for additional therapies or lifestyle/diet changes. All supplements will be provided at Fullscript, easily ordered and delivered to your door. The first visit is about an hour and 15 and all returning visits are an hour. Follow up visits will have a shorter check in to track your progress and make any needed changes.
- Does it hurt? A little! The needles may pinch when they are inserted and after that, there may be some heaviness, tingling or other mild sensation around the needle. Each treatment is a bit different and we can work with any fear of needles or sensitive areas. Most patients find acupuncture extremely relaxing, and look forward to their treatments.
- What does it treat? Acupuncture is particularly effective for pain, headaches, women’s health, seasonal allergies, colds and flus, stress, digestive issues, emotional and mental wellness, auto immune disorders and continued maintenance of any symptom. The World Health Organization (WHO) has an extensive list of disorders where acupuncture has been proven through research to be extremely effective.
- How do I choose between community and private? Community is a low-cost, more informal treatment. There is a wonderful sense community in the space and the lower cost can make it more accessible. And you can bring a friend! Private acupuncture is good for those who would prefer more quiet time, need additional modalities, or would like more time with the practitioner. And we can choose different treatments for different weeks as needed!
- How often will I need to come/How long will it take to work? This is a tough one to answer; it depends. It depends on how long you’ve been experiencing the issue, how severe it is and a multitude of other factors. Many patients experience a substantial improvement after just a few treatments. For most patients, I recommend coming weekly for 3 – 6 weeks, and then reduce the frequency as the body no longer requires the treatments.
Herbal Medicine is useful for a wide array of complaints, ranging from cold and flu to complex chronic issues. After going over your health history and treatment goals, the formula will be compounded and shipped to you. The herbs are in a dehydrated form, similar to instant coffee, and are rehydrated and taken like a tea. Follow up visits are normally 1-2 weeks out. The herbs are an additional charge, averaging $40 a week, but each formula is different so the cost may vary. Follow up appointments track your progress and to make adjustments to your formula as your condition improves. The first visit is 1 hr and returning visits are 30 minutes. These appointments may be combined with Private Acupuncture at a discounted rate.
- Why herbs? Herbal medicine allows for an individualized treatment that is a part of your daily routine, helping to speed up the healing process of most conditions. It’s great path for those who are concerned about needles or who have trouble finding time for acupuncture appointments.
- What does it treat? Almost anything. Because of the customization and dosage of herbs, herbal medicine can treat from the most mundane, like a cold, to the most severe.
- How do you take the herbs? The herbs are in a dehydrated powder form, similar to instant coffee. Boil hot water, pour about half a cup into a mug, add the dosage of herbs listed on the bottle, stir until dissolved and drink. You can add cool water or an ice cube or let them cool on the counter. There will be a video to come!
- Do they taste bad? Yes. You get used to it.
- How often should I come/How long will it take? Follow up appointments range from a few days to a week to a month, depending on the issue. Similar to acupuncture, many patients experience a significant change within a few treatments.
Remember: As with all medicine, a certain therapeutic dose is required to affect a change. Acupuncture works best when received at least once a week or when combined with other therapies. Herbal formulas work best when taken at their prescribed dosage on a regular basis.
Privacy: I take your privacy very seriously and will never tell anyone you are receiving treatment. If we run into each other around town, feel free to say Hi! I will wait on you to initiate contact and follow your lead so never feel pressured to chat. Your health care is your own business.
Insurance: To keep costs down, I do not accept insurance. Your flexible spending account/health savings account (FSA/HSA) may cover these treatments – check with your health insurance provider! I can also provide super-bills for private acupuncture treatments to apply for reimbursement.
Cancellations/Missed Appointments: I have a 24-hr cancellation policy and an associated fee for appointments that are cancelled last-minute or missed.